National Tourism Awards 2013-14
Tourism Industry in India
- India earned Rs 1,23,000 Crore rupees of foreign exchange through tourism last year .
- Tourism sector contributes 6.8% to India’s GDP.
- Indian Government gives top priority to Swachhta (cleanliness), Suraksha (security) and hospitality as the 3 pillars of tourism promotion in the country.
Recent Developments/Initiatives in Tourism Sector
- Starting from November 2014, e-Tourist Visa facility has been extended to 113 countries
- Government has launched two initiatives – Swadesh Darshan and PRASAD (Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual Augmentation Drive) – aiming at integrated development of circuits and pilgrim centres.
- Welcome Booklet is being distributed at the International Airports, giving important information including DOs and Don’ts to the foreign travellers.
- 24X7 helpline has been set up which is currently functional in Hindi and English and will soon be functional in 12 International languages.
Background of National Tourism Awards
- Presented by: Ministry of Tourism, Government of India
- Frequency: Annually, since early 1990s
- Categories: The National Tourism Awards are given in several categories including Comprehensive Development of Tourism, Best Rural Tourism Project, Best Heritage City, Best Hotels, Awards to Inbound Tour Operators and Travel Agents for their outstanding work, awards in the field of publicity/promotion and overseas marketing, use of information technology for tourism among others.
Important Recipients of National Tourism Awards 2013-14
- State of Gujarat for the Best State/UT for Comprehensive Tourism Development
- Best Rural Tourism Project: Rann Utsav, Gujarat
- Heritage City Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh as the Best Heritage City
- Municipal Council of Maheshwar (Distt.Khargone) in Madhya Pradesh for Best Civic Management of a Tourist Destination in B Category
- Gujarat has been awarded as the Best Film Promotion Friendly State/Union territory
- Deptt of Tourism, Kerala received the award for Most Innovative use of Information technology.
- “The Great backwaters of Kerala’ by Kerala Tourism has been awarded the Best Tourism Film while
- The Coffee Table Book “Gujarat’s 50 Golden Destinations’ by Tourism Corporation of Gujarat Ltd got the award of Best Tourism Promotion Publicity material.
- M/s Kuoni Travel India Pvt. Ltd, Gurgaon received the first prize for Best Inbound Tour Operators/Travel agents in the category of earning Foreign Exchange of Rs 100 cr or more in a year
- M/s Trail Blazer Tours India Pvt was given first prize in the category of earning Foreign Exchange of Rs 50-Rs 100 cr in a year.
- M/s Eco Mobility and Hospitality Pvt Ltd won the first prize in Category I of Tourist Transport Operator.
- M/s Snow Leopard Adventure Pvt Lts, Gurgaon won the prize for Best Adventure Tour Operator
For full list of Awardees of National Tourism Awards 2013-14: CLICK HERE