APJ Abdul Kalam Interesting Facts Books Awards and Quotes
1) Started earning money as a newspaper vendor: He came from a poor background and started working at an early age to supplement his family’s income. After completing school, Kalam distributed newspapers to contribute to his father’s income.
2) Was NOT a Topper: It is surprising to learn that in his school years he had average grades but was described as a bright and hardworking student who had a strong desire to learn and spend hours on his studies, especially mathematics.
3) Wanted to be a Fighter Pilot: Watching birds fly, always fascinated him. He aspired to pursue a career as a fighter pilot. But He narrowly missed achieving his dream, as in the qualifying exam he stood at 9th position, whereas only 8 positions were available in the Indian Air Force.
4) Was Mentored by Vikram Sarabhai: He was mentored by none other than ‘The Father of Indian Space Programme’ Vikram Sarabhai. The special bond that he shared with Vikram Sarabhai finds mention in his book ‘My Journey: Transforming Dreams into Actions’, chapter ‘My Mentor: Dr. Vikram Sarabhai’
5) He became the first Scientist and First Bachelor to occupy Rashtrapati Bhawan
6) A ‘Missile Man’ becomes ‘People’s President’: During his Presidential tenure, Dr. Kalam brought the President’s office more and more closer to the common man, which was an unprecedented initiative by any previous incumbent. He not only shed the ‘Rubber Stamp’ image of a President by making his presence felt in political arena, but also forged continuous connection with youth of the nation through engagements with Schools, Universities and public bodies across the nation.
7) Most Followed Youth Icon even at 83: As soon as the news of his demise was published, Indian social media has been swept through with a spontaneous flow of condolence messages, changing of display pics and status updates. This is a testimony that even at the Age of 83 he was the most popular Youth Icon having universal acceptance.
Awards & Honours to APJ Abdul Kalam
- Bharat Ratna in 1997
- Padma Vibhushan in 1990
- Padma Bhushan in 1981
- Veer Savarkar Award in 1998
- Honorary doctorates from 30 Universities and institutions around the world
- First Asian to receive Hoover Medal, in 2008 – Most prestigious American Engineering Award
Books by APJ Abdul Kalam
- Wings of Fire
- Ignited Minds
- India 2020: A Vision for the New Millennium
- Mission India
- Inspiring Thoughts
- Indomitable Spirit
- Target 3 Billion
- The Luminous Sparks
- Envisioning an Empowered Nation
- You Are Born to Blossom: Take My Journey Beyond
- Turning Points: A Journey Through Challenges
- My Journey: Transforming Dreams into Actions
- A Manifesto for Change: A Sequel to India 2020
- Forge Your Future: Candid, Forthright, Inspiring
- Reignited: Scientific Pathways to a brighter Future
R.I.P (Return If Possible) Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam