Important Bank Interview Questions
As we have noted in How to Prepare for Bank Interviews post, knowing and preparing frequently asked bank interview questions is a crucial aspect of preparing for Bank interviews.
Based on interview experience of our readers and many successful candidates, we have prepared a list of questions which are repeatedly asked in Bank interviews. Aspiring candidates are advised to prepare model answers for each of these questions.
NOTE: This is NOT an exhaustive list. We will periodically add more questions in this list based on the new interview experiences of our readers
Questions asked in Bank interviews can be placed under following broad categories
Category – I: Bio data related questions
- Tell us about yourself
- What is the meaning of your name?
- Occupational details of your parents
- Specialties of your home state/town
- What are your hobbies? Follow up questions on factual details about your hobbies. Eg. If you have mentioned ‘Cricket’ as your hobby, you may expect a questions on ‘Duckworth Lewis calculation’ or any recent news pertaining to the world of Cricket
- What has been your biggest achievement till date?
- Tell us about the most memorable incident of your life
- Who is your role model? Why?
Category – II: Questions pertaining to career orientation
- Why did you select ‘XYZ’ stream for graduation?
- Why did you select ‘XYZ’ subject for graduation/post-graduation?
- Factual questions pertaining to specific subjects of graduation E.g. for commerce graduates interviewer may ask rules of debit and credit, entries in balance sheet etc.
- Questions pertaining to any academic projects undertaken by you
- About current/past work experience – if any?
- Why do you want to leave your current job – if any?
- Why do you want to join Banking Sector?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Why should we hire you?
- What value addition will you bring to the job?
- What are your short/long term goals? Where do you see yourself 3/5/10 years from now?
- What are the most essential qualities of a Banker?
Category – III: Factual or opinion based questions on basics of banking and recent developments in Banking sector
- Do you have a bank account? In Which Bank?
- What is a bank?
- Types of Banks in India
- What are the functions of commercial bank in India?
- Difference between public sector and private sector banks
- Question on Bank Nationalisation
- Largest Public sector bank of India
- Largest Private sector bank of India
- About RBI Monetary Policy rates
- What is NBFC?
- What are NPAs?
- What is the difference between Cheque and Demand Draft?
- What is difference between debit card and credit card?
- What is the difference between Repo Rate and Reverse Repo Rate?
- What is the difference between NEFT and RTGS?
- What is KYC?
- What is Money Laundering?
- What are Basel norms in context of Banking?
- What are direct taxes and indirect taxes?
- What is the role of SEBI?
- What is SIP?
- What are Exchange Traded Funds (ETF)?
- What is an e-wallet?
- What is financial inclusion
- What is RuPay?
- What is inflation?
- What is GDP?
- What is Fiscal Deficit?
- What are the risks associated with NET Banking?
- What are the reasons behind high NPAs in PSU banks?
- What are the major Challenges being faced in the Banking sector?
- What do you know about operation ‘Indradhanush’ in context of PSU Banks?
- Should 100% FDI be allowed in Indian private Banks?
- What is the current value of Rupee against USD or EURO
- According to you which is the best investment – Real estate OR Gold OR Equity? Why?
- How should Indian Govt. tackle the problem of Black Money?
Category – IV: Factual or opinion based questions on basic GK and General Current Affairs
- Which newspapers do you read?
- Tell us three headlines from today’s newspaper
- Tell us top 5 breaking news of the year 2015?
- Major International Financial organizations, their headquarters and key persons
- Currency – Country
- Famous monuments in your home town/state
- Recent political developments in your home state
- Chief Minister & Governor of your home state
- Name of ‘XYZ’ Union Cabinet Minister
- What is One Rank One Pension Scheme?
- What steps should Indian Government take to counter pollution in major Indian cities?
- Questions on major Govt. Schemes viz. Swachh Bharat, Make in India, Smart Cities etc.
- Recent sports tournaments and winners
- Explain the term recession
- What is Phishing?
- What exactly is Android?
- Tell us something about Greek Debt crisis
- Tell us something about sub-prime crisis
- Questions on Nobel Prize Winners
- What do you know about Right To Information (RTI)?
Category – V: Hypothetical/Situation Based questions
- If you are the Governor of RBI, what steps would you take in high inflationary situation?
- If you are the Finance Minister of India, how would you deal with situations of frequent droughts in our country?
- Your wife/child is ill and needs urgent medical attention, on the same day you have an annual audit in your branch. Which task would you attend first?
- If you are posted as a Bank PO at an under-performing branch, what steps would you take to revive the business and operations?
- If there is a dispute on a petty matter between a High Net worth Customer and your top performing staff, whose side will you take?
- How would you pacify a high net worth customer whose cheque has been dishonoured by your bank owing to unclear signature?
- How would you react if a customer offers you a bribe for approving his/her loan?
- What would be your reaction if the credit for your excellent performance in a particular task is taken away by your boss?
- What would you do if you are posted in a suburban location and there is an armed robbery in your bank branch?
- How would you handle a customer who has no knowledge of computers, yet insists you to teach him net banking?
Some Difficult Questions:
- Why is there a gap in education?
- Why such low marks in graduation/school?
- What did you prepare for interview?
- For candidate with non-commerce academic qualification – Why don’t you pursue a career in your chosen stream, why Banking?
- Are you preparing for other competitive exams? Why?
- What if you are not selected for this exam?
- What is more important to you – Salary or Job Profile?
- Describe the ideal work culture/environment you would like to work in
- If you have a bank account in private bank – Why do have a bank account in private bank and not in public sector bank.
For Female Candidates:
- Questions on Gender Equality
- Questions on Women Security
- Questions on Women Education
- Role of Women in Indian Society
- Famous and Successful Women in Banking Sector